Opening Times 8.30am to 5pm GMT (except UK Bank Holidays)
tel:+44 (0) 1332 865091 or 0845 1235838
GBP Euros US Dollars Aus Dollars
Change currency shown
Click Here
Posted on Tuesday, 22 November 2011 10:55AM by
Two directors of a furniture warehouse in Suffolk have been fined after the property was deemed to breach fire safety regulations.

Francoise Guillambert and Edward Babington of Showhouse Furniture in Newmarket admitted 12 offences of failing to comply with fire safety standards at Bury St Edmunds Magistrates' Court.

They were fined £6,100 for breaching the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 and ordered to pay costs totalling £6,000 to prosecutors Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service.

The poor fire safety provisions were discovered after a blaze occurred at the warehouse in Oaks Drive last October. Investigators found blocked fire exits, poorly maintained fire safety systems and a lack of emergency lighting among other offences.

Councillor Colin Spence, Suffolk County Council's portfolio holder for public protection, said: "I hope that this case will highlight the importance of compliance with fire safety regulations.

"When employees are placed at serious risk, Suffolk Fire and Rescue Service will take appropriate and proportionate action."

Source: Fire Industry Association

Copyright © Sunfish Services Limited 2017. Web Design by 7Soft/WSI Yorkshire.